Friday, October 13, 2006


This song is in my head today, not sure it goes with my posting topic but that's OK.
Welcome To My Life Video by RelientK

Would you choose differently if you could choose your occupation again? Why? How?

Interesting quesion for me since I have been thinking alot about going back to work. When should I go? What type of job/field would I look to enter? Etc. So to answer this I need to tell you first about where I have been.

My college degree is Graphic Design which I did for several years after college. My career began to morph at somepoint as I took on Marketing and PR type projects and eventually I was hiring out the graphics and concentrating my time on Marketing and Strategic Planning. I worked for a health care organization so part of my job involved promotion of health care careers and I worked with student High School age up thorough college. I really enjoyed helping students find the health career that was right for them.

It's been seven years since I held down a full-time job other then MOM that is. I have worked part time as an Art and Computer teacher for a Private Christian School and I absolutely LOVED that job.

So Now What? I have been asking myself that same question over and over. I had thought I'd be working part-time by now with Olivia in Kindergarten but with Amelia's arrival those plans got pushed back. I have been looking into returning to college to get a teaching degree as Secondary Art Teacher. The market where I live is not the best though for teachers there are so many of us. So much so that to substitute teach in my area you must have a teaching degree, then you wait on a list to be called. I have several teaching friends who have only been called a dozen or so times to sub.

We do have a large number of hospitals and a Medical School so going back into that type of work might be possible. Just harder on the family due to the working hours for health care centers.

I go back and forth and back and forth and don't know what to do so I do nothing. Not the best of plans I know. I figure I really don't have to start making any decisions until next year! As to would I choose differently my occupation/career? I'd have to say NO, I love Art and Art College was a wonderfull experience. I do however wish I would have taken the additional teaching classes so that I graduated with both a B.S. in Graphic Design and Secondary Education.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Whatever you decide to do, I am sure you are going to be the best in the field.

heather said...

I don't envy you, I find those sort of decisions SO hard to make. It might be best to "wait and see". (or that could just be the procrastinator in me talking LOL)

Glynis said...

You will know what to do when the time is right...at least that's what I believe!

loonyhiker said...

We sure do need good secondary art teachers! My disabled students only take art, PE, or chorus for the 4 years of high school. They sometimes get an art teacher who is not flexible and understanding of their disability (the round peg into a square hole). The teachers expect them to draw perspective etc. and my kids just feel good about drawing. They can't say, spell, or read the word perspective!

carin.c said...

Follow what you love and a place will be found for you - that much I do believe. Too many times we make the decision itself too difficult by worrying that reaching our dreams will be too difficult. (I need to listen to my own advice more! LOL!)