Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Inherited Traits:
What do you see in yourself that has come from your ancestors? If you have children, what have you handed down?


Immediately I think of physical traits. If I look back at photos of my Maternal Grandmother we have several common physical characteristics, including being on the short side as in under 5'5". I think 2 of my 3 girls are following in these footsteps as they are both on the small side of the growth chart. My other daughter has an interesting birth trait on ear at the top is folded down, hardly noticeable at all but the Dr. said someone in our family has to have this as it is genetic. We have yet to find that person, they may be several generations back.

Education and the importance of continuing to learn no matter your age is something I feel was handed down on the Maternal side of my family. Both of my Grandparents were college graduates who continued to pursue learning into their retirement. Both my parents also graduated from college and continue to pursue education. All three of us kids went to college. My sister and I both have degrees although my brother eventually went into the work force he has talked off and on more on than off about going back to college and learning something new. I am considering returning to college as well for an after babies career change.

The focus is that learning never ends and you are never too old to learn something new, change your career, or simply explore something you are passionate about. I hope I am passing along this passion for learning to my kids. I try to keep the focus on the journey and not so much on the road they take.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

What type of art do you like best? Do you have a favorite artist?
This is like asking a Musician what's your favorite group or song! I LOVE art and have far too many favorites to ever list just one. I also LOVE all kind of mediums painting, sculpture, photography, drawing, printmaking, ceramics etc. Art History was one of my favorite classes and visiting art museums is a real treat for me.

Recently, here in Grand Rapids we had a wonderful opportunity to see the sculpture work of Tom Otterness. His pieces were all over town and at the Fredrick Meijer Gardens.
Tom Otterness at Meijer Gardens

Kids just loved the sculptures and I remember reading that one of his goals was for his sculptures be the most family scrapbooked art in America. The most important thing I want to pass down to my kids and all other kids I can connect with is that they have been given a special gift and that gift is from God, if they use it for HIS Glory they can change the world.

This was a link to a P.O.D. Song!

2 comments:

loonyhiker said...

Being a teacher, I liked that the importance of education has been passed down.

Glynis said...

Love your statement on using your gifts for God's glory...what better message can we pass on to our children than that?