Wednesday, November 15, 2006


Current book I am reading:
Sea Change by James Powlik

I guess this book would fall under the category "Techno-Thriller". It has to do with an environmental threat that might have been caused on purpose. The main characters then have to figure out a tangled web of facts and data to discover the truth about what is killing people.

It is very interesting and I am learning alot about micro-organisims and toxic blooms. Nature is pretty radical and I find it amazing how something so small and basic in structure can turn into a lethal organism.

On a lighter note I am also reading, "What Every Mom Needs" by Elisa Morgan with my MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) group. It is a very light hearted and easy read but it really gets you thinking about who you are as a Mother. A big part of the book is about recognizing your personal needs as a Mom and understanding that it is okay to spend time on your own personal growth. As much as I love my kids I'm more than a Mom I am an individual with my own dreams. As long as I don't neglect the needs of my family there is nothing wrong with making some of my personal dreams come true. In fact it is imperative that I do if I want to be a fullfilled person this makes me a better Mom and role model to my children.

HOLD FAST YOUR DREAM
by Louise Driscoll

Hold fast your dream!
Within your heart
Keep one still secret spot
Where dreams may go,
And sheltered so,
May thrive and grow ~
Where doubt and fear are not.
Oh, keep a place apart
Within your heart,
For little dreams to go.

3 comments:

Glynis said...

I love that poem and you are so right about being more than a mom, even if that is your 'main job'. I like to think that I'm still an interesting person on my own...but it's so easy to get caught up in being somebody's wife or somebody's mom.

carin.c said...

I may just have to pick that up - spent too much time feeling I had to be what everyone else needed and now have been trying to attend to "me" as well. Because it is true that if you lose yourself you are no good to anyone, including your children.

Unknown said...

I love techno-thrillers, so will definitely have to put this one on my list of "must read."