Tuesday, November 28, 2006


Get Mortified ~ Teenage angst

I can hardly wait to get the book and read other people's teenage journals/poetry. When I moved a couple years ago I came across my teenage diaries. I laughed and cried it was like therapy to read my crazy entries and sappy deliriously bad poetry. Usually about some guy. Now that I have a son soon to be a teen it was good to revisit my diary thoughts and be reminded how seriously I took all my hurts, pain, and betrayals. It may be humorous to me now but I need to remember at the time it was completely tragic. Much like the poetry I will be unleashing on you today.

Back-story - I wrote this after things went very bad with my first serious boyfriend. I was very into tragic poetry and novels at the time and sickly enjoyed wallowing in grim tales of emotional pain and suffering.
The character here is my animated self or who I imagine my cartoon self
to be anyway. Hope she makes up for the bad poetry.



How does life become so completely numb?
Mindlessly going through the routine, unable to pause and understand the pain.
Lost words lie painfully on your tongue, jumbled up making no sense at all.
What’s black is white then turns to grey, print on the page blurred by youthful fantasy.
Tears quietly raining down and washing away dreams.
Wax seals are broken from promises long since made.
The brown paper quickly forgotten and thrown away.
Those lips once sweet are full of bitter words.
The eyes no longer suck you in but send fire to your soul.
The lovers are forever gone burnt ashes in the wind.
Friendship slowly slips away as hazy eyes awake.
A world re-born unconquered, fresh, lies beyond the doorway.
A single silhouette leaves her home to venture in a brave new way.
Her shield on and armor raised poised with her weapons for her prey.
An ugly world beneath the dream just like the last and next will be.
And yet each time she dares to believe that this one will last forever ~ her reality.

5 comments:

ArtcTrish said...

Oh wow...did we date the same guy???JK! How sensitive of you to forsee your son's coming angst!

Glynis said...

Wow! Hope I won't offend you if I say that this post is absolutely dripping with 'teenage-ness'! I can see why reading these old entries can be therapeutic...and thanks so much for sharing!

Denise said...

OMG, I totally remember feeling the same way! Love the cartoon too.

Unknown said...

I never thought of a teenage diary as a means of understanding my children, maybe IF I had kept one. Thanks for sharing a part of yourself. Very interest poem btw.

*love2scrap* said...

yah, baby! loved the angst going on. totally diggin it and was so there right on the same tear stained page with you. that is why I burned them all *after* I read them to my teen age son :) my other six are going to just have to take my word that I understand.